Wednesday, August 4, 2010

doldrums

imagine a boat. sitting idly on a placid sea, an ocean perhaps. you are stranded. for days.with nothing to do but sit and wait until the wind picks up to carry you towards some destination - any destination really. any port is better than this.
i have read all the news i can take. CNN, New York Times, LA Times, Google News. I have sat on facebook for hours, chatting with random people from my past, acquaintances i have not communicated with for months, if not years.
I have watched movies from grade school: Little Nemo, Fern Gulley.
I have drawn pictures.
I have created a semester plan for class objectives and topics.
I wish i had the wits to create a plot worthy of publication. I certainly have the time to write a couple thousand words a day.

I leave for the Philippines on saturday morning. So there is a finish line in sight for this doldrums session. I will be there for two weeks. i return back to the ROK on the 18th. get back in around 7pm. then i have the friday saturday sunday to readjust to the life here. get out of the beach mode. settle in to the school planning. create a couple of power points for the first couple weeks lessons. maybe think of a new morning lesson. maybe ask when im supposed to be paid for my extra hours i worked all last semester.

I'm guessing they are not going to pay me for any of the lessons worked. some kind of bureaucratic red tape they set up to keep me from getting mine.

im ready for the wind to pick up and carry me to somewhere more entertaining than this chair and this computer screen. my eyes are burning from the time spent here.

all the Chinese food at lunch has been nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment