Monday, March 8, 2010

seaweed wrapped rice beef sandwich

this past weekend, I managed to meet up with my good friends codey and julian, both of whom crashed on the floor of my "studio" apartment.
to be honest, i think an artist would be hard pressed to have enough space to really work in the place as a studio. and if i did, i think at least one wall woudl be lost to a painting. now normally i would consider this something that could- possibly - cause an appreciation of value in the otherwise cement wall (mine happens to have a few pieces of wall paper that look like cinderblocks..... not really sure what the previous guy was thinking. becuase to me the process osunds kind of like this
Gosh, these walls sure are cement. how could we decorate them tolook better, more interesting?"
I know, lets cover them with a plain yellow wall paper.
yea but that looks plain still
heres a thought, lets put some more wall paper on top that looks like cement bricks!.
GENIUS!

i want you to think about that. becuase my room has cinderblock wall paper on top of cement walls covered in wallpaper already. wow dude.

so work for my first week started in earnest today. it is intense. i thought my not having any teaching experience would not be an issue here. that i would be able to use the lessons and information left behind by the pervious native english speaker who inhabited my humble abode, and my office desk space and my computer for the previous three years. so far, i have found one lesson plan. for the first lesson. and it has nothing to do with anything in the book, that i have been told to abide by in creating my lesson plans.
then i found out today, that the 20 minute conversational lesson i have to create for aa twice a week morning class is part of a nationally funded english research program that my school is a part of. so i am, as the native english speaker in resident at the school, a crucial part of the research and teaching development of korean-english education. shnikes. the work im doing now seems horribly unacceptable for a natnioanlly funded research program.
i hope they realize they hired a completely unexperience college grad with no teaching experience and very little experience in controlling groups of 40 plus kids in a classroom.
i hear its a fast learning curve though. so ill keep you all posted on that. however, my co teachers are all great help at keeping the little rascals in line. otherwise i think they would just go straight korean the entire time.
as it is, the teacher are all very nice. I havent been chopped again by the principle.... but its only a matter of time. i did get a crash course on east asian etiquette. so hopefully that will come in handy when ever i do eventually have to socialize with the elite officers of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment